Posted on the Disney Parks blog on July 23rd, 2014 by Stephen Walker, Fleet Culinary Standards and Consistency Chef, Disney Cruise Line
The recipe I’m sharing today is for our Tomato Cake, the perfect appetizer for a light, summer meal. Chances are you already have most of the ingredients in your kitchen, so why not try it tonight? Eating like you’re on a Disney cruise is definitely the best remedy for those days when you’re wishing you could be at sea with us.
Check out the full recipe below and download our keepsake recipe card here. Enjoy!
Skill Level: Moderate
Time: 6 hours
- 12 plum tomatoes
- 1/3 cup tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp. dijon mustard
- ½ lemon, juice
- ½ cup goat cheese
- ¹/³ cup whipping cream
- ¼ lemon, juiced
- 3 shallots, sliced into rings and halved
- 1 tbsp. picked curly parsley
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
For the Tomato Cake
- Make an incision in the top and base of each tomato. Blanch in boiling salted water for 2 minutes until the skin starts to loosen. Then submerge in salted ice water. Then peel the skin off each tomato, cut into quarters and remove the seeds.
- Season the tomato quarters with salt and pepper.
- Layer ¼ of the tomatoes in a 2-inch ring, adding a half teaspoon of tomato ketchup mixed with the ground cardamom between each layer. Work your way to the top of the ring and layer 2 cm over the top; cover with plastic wrap and place onto a plate.
- Add another plate on top, placing a couple cans over the top plate to add weight to the “press.”
- Refrigerate at least 5 hours.
For the Dressing
Place all the ingredients into a bowl and whisk together.
For the Goat Cheese
Mix all the ingredients together.
Remove any of the tomato that has been pressed out over the side of the ring with a knife. Press the tomato cake into the center of the plate, layer the shallots around, spoon the dressing onto the shallots and garnish with the picked parsley. Top the cake with a quenelle of goat cheese and sprinkle with ground black pepper.
For more summer recipes from Disney Cruise Line, click the links below:
- Disney Cruise Line Summer Recipe: Cajun Shrimp Slaw
- Disney Cruise Line Summer Recipe: Guava Glazed Barbecue Ribs
- Disney Cruise Line Summer Recipe: Summer Pudding
- Disney Cruise Line Summer Recipe: Seafood Paella
- Savoring the Flavors of the Mediterranean with Disney Cruise Line